Friday, March 16, 2012

Own Yourself

Some writers tell stories; their books are removed, varied and abstract. Then there are those that imbue a subtle message within their books - I am that type of author. 
The stories themselves throw a veil over the message, but the message is still there, visible beneath. Perhaps this is why I enjoy many of the authors from old, as they too felt the need to share a message within their books. This is true with song writers as well. I’ve noticed many wherein their lyrics carry a relevant tone. 
A friend asked me about this very thing earlier this week. Her question prompted me to encapsulate the message tucked within the pages of my novels, and children’s books. My mind isn’t its normal wellspring of creativity as of late, but as this message defines my life, it required little imagination.
‘Own yourself.’ 
As simple as it may sound, those two words say it all. In a world where we are constantly questioning ourselves and working fervently to measure up to invisible and ever changing standards, we lose our individuality. We value the things that we feel are acceptable and admonish the things that we feel are not. This is done both internally and externally.
Self acceptance is no easy task, and yet it should be; we are stuck with ourselves from the moment we got here. Yet, for the longest time I disliked my deep, philosophical side. I had no one to share it with and a partner that didn’t even remotely understand it. I’ve also battled on and off with depression nearly all my life, which only added to the depths and vastness of my emotions. Everyone likes brightness and laughter, so those were the attributes I tried to reveal the most; I smothered the rest. Truth is, in this respect, it hardly matters what others think. If those within your circle look down upon you, don't change yourself, change the circle.
It wasn’t until I wrote my first novel, and watched the story flow from some place deep within that I began to understand what was wanting and needing to be said. I didn’t know the next line that was being typed when I wrote A Contented Mind - it just flowed like a newly tapped well. Something was trying to get my attention and tell me that I am the sum of all my parts. My darkness and my light make up who I am, and therefore what I am, and this is good. This is true for everyone. All of our many nuances are valuable. They all play a part in creating the person as a whole.
With those words sitting in front of me, I changed my life. I decided to own this motley mixture that is me, and shape my world around me instead of the other way around. I hope to remind everyone to do the same. Heaven knows, if I can do it, so can they. Be true to who you are, and most of all - own yourself.
Sane

No comments:

Post a Comment