Wednesday, January 25, 2012

You Know You Want It. Baby I Got It.

I’m a music lover. All of the novels I’ve written thus far, are based around music. For me, much of my spirituality, balance in life and inspiration are found while listening to music. Perhaps that is why when the word respect made its way onto my daughters spelling list, instead of merely spelling it out for her while I quizzed her, I erupted into a startling rendition of the Aretha Franklin song: Respect.
Of course, I didn’t belt the song out with musical ability - as I have none. I instead, scooted across the kitchen floor like a drunken go go dancer, with no clue how to perform. To my kids amusement (and my own), I chicken winged it while singing, R E S P E C T. Find out what it means to me. Oh! Sock it to me, sock it to me...” 
I couldn’t help myself. It’s just one of those songs in which, upon hearing the word respect, I’m instantly compelled to burst into my own rambunctious rendition. I’m pretty certain if I heard a solemn faced judge utter the word while in a dead quiet courtroom, it would take all the restraint I could find to not bolt up, throw a hand on my hip, the other in the air, and shout, “Oh, you know you want it. You know I got it. R E S P E C T!” The Judge probably wouldn’t appreciate it - but I would. 
On the flip side however; my kids thoroughly enjoyed watching me strut around the kitchen, bobble my head, and bellow this time honored classic.
The next day, after my performance, my daughter questioned the authenticity of the song (the apples don’t fall far from the tree). Having never heard the song before, she wasn’t sure if it was just something I pulled out of thin air. Enter YouTube. 
Watching the 1967, black and white video of Aretha Franklin, a devilish grin swept across my daughter’s face. She liked the song. She also liked my repeat performance. 
Even a good book doesn’t have the ability to make one drop what they are doing, and dance. This magic belongs solely to music. Its almost as if these certain songs, personal and unique to each of us, have the power to purge us of our resistant, negative emotion. It’s safe to say, I felt no frustration while shimmying across the floor the other night. Songs like these, are strong medicine against an often toxic world.
Sane 

1 comment:

  1. aretha is one of detroit's finest, today kids only know kid rock and eimeinm

    ReplyDelete