Saturday, March 10, 2012

Did You Hear That?

I did a radio interview recently. And long after the interview was over, and amongst the many questions asked, there was one question that remained within my mind. What was your biggest obstacle in writing. Without hesitation I answered: me.
There has never been nor will there ever be an exterior voice that can do more damage than that of my own internal voice. I’ve often joked about how peculiar it is that the voice of worry, doubt and insecurity screams, whereas the voice of faith, self confidence and inner-knowledge whispers. Or at least mine does. It is that soft steady voice that I have learned to trust and to keep my ear in tune.
The voice that screams however, is the voice that often, out of fear, tries to keep us from attaining our dreams. People do the same thing to one another. Which is precisely why when something is of enormous importance to me I only share it with a limited few. As it seems so many will list the reasons why one shouldn’t do the very thing they want most to do. I say, do what you want to do, and don’t give up.
When I think of all the life I have wasted battling myself, I could easily get angry. I feel most of us, on some level, have had this battle. Whether the voice screams or merely whispers, its words are ravaging to the mind and spirit. Your not pretty enough, your not smart enough, your not talented enough - toxic words. Or sometimes the battle is in the fear: fear of the unknown, fear that things won’t work out as hoped. Again, the damage caused by these thoughts is powerful. And at times, hard to escape.
I’m at a point in my life, where I do believe in myself. I believe in my writing and I believe in the message that is subtly imbued in every book I write. I don’t write fantasy. My books are very raw and real. But the message within them remains - believe in your own voice, never give up on your dreams and somewhere along the way, there is joy to be found.
Sane

1 comment:

  1. Wow..What a wonderful message to start my day!

    Thanks Sane!

    ReplyDelete