Tuesday, January 10, 2012

They Didn't Call?

I was in a photo shoot once. It was a contest, of sorts. Never in a million years would I have attempted such a thing, except for the fact that the company sponsoring the photo shoot, Harley Davidson Motorcycles, didn’t want professional models. Instead they wanted real people who were also real riders - of which I'm both.
I was nervous as hell but figured, what do I have to lose. As the purpose of the shoot was to find riders to appear in their upcoming apparel catalogue, they outfitted me, then ushered me under the tent where the photographer was waiting. I tried not to over smile. I tried not to under smile. I feel its safe to say my awkwardness was strapped over my face like a flimsy Halloween mask. Regardless, when the last photo was taken, the photographer pulled me aside and personally thanked me for coming to the shoot. The staff was thrilled to learn that my brother restored and customized Harley's, that my father had ridden since he was young, and that my grandparents had their own Harley's and road in a motorcycle club in Detroit. Things seemed promising.
However, doing the photo shoot, meant staying in southern California an extra day, which meant spending more money. I prayed that if it was meant to be, all the necessary components would fall into place. And they did. Every last one. 
My friend was even nice enough to invite me along to a dinner they were attending that night. During which I met someone who would become instrumental in getting my book on the path to being published. And, in many ways, the person with whom I met that evening has served as a mentor through her words of guidance and encouragement.
As it turned out, Harley Davidson never called. I wasn’t all too surprised that I didn’t make the cut, but I was still terribly disappointed. I couldn’t help but wonder why everything had fallen into place, for nothing. But - it wasn’t for nothing. If I hadn’t stayed for the photo shoot, I wouldn’t have been available for the dinner wherein I met the woman who aided me in publishing my book. It was through her persistence that I was able to garner the help of a very accomplished editor. That editor, then went on to connect me with the copy editor who helped prepare my book for print.
Since that day, I have tried to never look at disappointment the same. Some times a missed opportunity, is the only way to make us available for something of greater importance. This has happened to me more than once. And when it does, my fussy mind still spits and sputters at the obvious shortfall, while my spirit whispers a reminder that I shouldn’t be so hasty to judge. I asked my psychic about the photo shoot. She shook her head and said, "You met someone that day. That's the reason you were there." I believe she was right.
The next time, this or that, fails to happen, or the one thing you feel is a must, never takes place. Step back and consider the possibility that we only have the ability to view the world through limited knowledge. Often, if we allow it, more is at work than what we know. There are times when a wrong turn, puts us in the right place.
Sane

1 comment:

  1. sam i really need to meet that physic of yours cn

    ReplyDelete